Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day of Kindergarten

Today was a bitter-sweet day for me. My first born was off to school. I say bitter-sweet because she is my buddy and my helper and I can't believe she is grown up enough to go to Kindergarten. On the other hand, she is so ready for Kindergarten and I have never seen her so excited for anything before. Last night she was so cute and she asked Trent to give her a special blessing to help her in school. I was so proud of her. She knows the power of the priesthood and she knew that a blessing would help her. We all woke up very early and had plenty of time to get ready and take some pictures. Every minute or two Ashlyn would ask me if it was time to go yet. And then, it was time to go. I had a hard time choking back the tears as she walked around the corner into her classroom with all the other kids. I kept thinking back to when I taught Kindergarten and remembering how I thought it was so sweet that the moms would cry and take a million pictures, now I am one of those moms. When it was time to pick her up she was smiling from ear to ear and couldn't wait to tell me about her day. Her favorite things were... recess (of course), circle time, and making her craft. As I think back on my childhood I can't help but think about my days in school. Some of my best memories are from school, the friends I made, the teachers I looked up to, and the fun things I learned. I guess it's now time for Ashlyn to embark on that journey and hopefully she will enjoy it as much as I did. Let the adventure begin!


6 comments:

Vic and Jan said...

Ashlyn is going to be at the top of her class! She is smart and loves to learn. When we get home from our mission, she can read stories to us.

emily said...

she's so darling ... and i teared up just reading about it ... i cry the first day every year! Ashlyn: Congratulations - you've made it ... only 12 more years ... and then 4 more after that ... and maybe 4 more after that ... school is an adventure waiting to happen! Have Fun!!

Sara said...

Oh, she looks so cute! I'm glad her first day went well. She is such a little sweetie! I'm sure her teacher will love her:)

Tara Joy said...

Yeah! Congratulations Ashlyn on your first successful day of school. I am so gald Barry and you are in the same class.

Trista said...

Erika, I just finished posting about my kids' first day back to school today and then I read your blog. Isn't it funny how we as mothers have the same strong emotions about our kids. We are feeling much of the same thing and it doesn't matter how old our kids get. Our love just keeps growing!

Heidi said...

Our girls are growing up way to fast! Cadence said that she likes Ashlyn's hair bows in the pictures:-) Glad that she had a good first day of school.