Friday, April 17, 2009

Easter Sunday

Our Easter Sunday was fantastic. First of all, Trent didn't have to wake up at 5:30 a.m. for meetings! And, the Easter Bunny came. Ashlyn was up at the crack of dawn waiting to go downstairs and see what was in her Easter basket, but we made her wait until we were all ready for church.
After church we came home and took a few pictures. By this time the kids were hungry and antsy, so it was hard to find a picture where everyone looked cute.
It's funny how instinctively Blake knew what basket was his. He immediately rolled over to the truck and started to put it in his mouth.
Ashlyn and Avery were so excited to get their purses and Pinocchio, or as Avery calls it "Peenocchio".
Typically on Easter we get home from church we hide the eggs that the Easter Bunny left us and have a little hunt. This year I decided to do things a little bit different. I had 12 eggs that my mom had given me with a scripture reference and a symbol of Christs death or Resurrection inside. I hid them around the house and one by one I gave Ashlyn and Avery clues to find them. We would open them up and discuss what was inside and why it was important. Ashlyn had done something similar in Primary and she happened to open the same egg that she had opened in her class. She explained to us that there was a piece of white cloth in the egg because that is what they wrapped Jesus in before they laid him in the tomb. It was a very special lesson. The Spirit touched me very strongly this day as I reflected on Christs Atonement, death and Resurrection and their meaning in my life.
Throughout the day Avery kept sneaking off. We saw that the refrigerator was left a few inches open and when we went to check on it we noticed Avery inside the fridge with chocolate all over her face. She's our sneaky little girl!

What a wonderful Easter Sunday it was for our family. Before we went to bed we watched the New Testament DVD about the Atonement, death, and Resurrection of Christ. This Easter Sunday was especially important to me as I think of friends who are dealing with the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one. How wonderful it is to know what our Savior did for us and because of "It" we can live again. I think my friend Pam put it best with the quote on her daughters funeral program "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because It happened." May we all remember this as we go on with our daily lives.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

What a very meaningful blog post. That is a very cute idea for the Easter eggs! I am glad that you guys had a fun Easter. I love how all the kids are in something blue:-) Avery is very cute sneaking in the fridge to eat the candy... sounds like something Arielle would do! lol

Vic and Jan said...

What cute pictures!! It touches my heart to hear how you are always teaching your children about the Savior. Don't ever stop!

ETCK said...

Blake is such a smiley little boy. It's funny to see Avery starting to do a little smirk now for pictures. :) I love how you and Trent are teaching your kids so much about the gospel.

Cari Payne said...

Your kids are so Adorable! I Love Blakes little vest! Easter is one of my favorite holidays! The weather their looks so beautiful! Luvs!