Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Ashlyn!

Yesterday was Ashlyn's 6th birthday. We had a great day. I decided that this year we would have a small party that was pretty low-key. It ended up being very fun and it didn't seem low-key at all. I let Ashlyn choose almost everything, the balloons, the activities, and the goody bags. I decided to surprise her and make her birthday cake extra special this year. The party theme was "pretend sleepover". The kids wore their pajamas and brought sleeping bags. We decorated crowns, painted fingernails (with flowers on them), played a game and danced. We had pizza for dinner and cake and other goodies too. It was just like a real sleepover, but no one stayed the night. Ashlyn had a blast and she got some great presents too.
Here she is with the cake I made. I am NOT a cake decorator, but I think it turned out cute. Notice the bumps under the sheets of 4 little girls tucked inside their bed with their heads on pillows.
The girls loved getting their fingernails painted. They especially loved the flowers that we put on their thumbs.
Here are all the goofy girls on their sleeping bags. They were taking a break from all the dancing they were doing.
Every year I take the kids pictures with the bear they got when they were born. Here is Ashlyn's 6th birthday bear picture.

The morning of Ashlyn's birthday I surprised her and started singing "Happy Birthday" to her at exactly 11:12 a.m. (the time she was born). After I sang it I gave her a big hug and told her that 6 years ago at that exact moment, I held her for the first time. I of course started crying because I couldn't help but remember how much I loved her at that moment and how happy I was to become a mom for the first time. I never thought that my love could grow as much as it has over the past 6 years. Ashlyn is such a beautiful little girl both inside and out. I am so proud to be her mom and I know that Trent is incredibly proud to be her dad. We love you Ashlyn.

5 comments:

Vic and Jan said...

And we're incredibly proud to be her grandparents. Looks like everyone had a great time. Love the cake! You're so clever.

fREnCh TrOSt said...

You are so creative! I am going to have to copy your super cute fake sleep over idea someday!

Heidi said...

Cadence has not stopped talking about Ashlyn's party! She has shown everyone her nails! She had such a fun time. Cute cake!!

ETCK said...

You made me cry! On another note, the cake looked amazing! Great job.

Goff family said...

Happy Day Ashlyn! We wish we could have celebrated with you! Erika - what a cute idea and what a darling cake! I don't think I would have even attempted it.