Friday, August 7, 2009

In Loving Memory of Grandpa Taylor

Keith Packer Taylor, a.k.a. Gramps, passed away July 30, 2009 at the age of 87. He leaves behind his wife, Rhea, his two children, Bev and Phil, his 10 grandchildren and 28 great-grandchildren. Trent's grandpa was such an amazing man. He was so loving, kind, funny, and strong. Trent grew up with his grandparents living one house away from his own. They were a part of his every day life. While this passing was expected to happen sometime soon, it was still a very emotional one. Keith and Rhea have been together for 75 years and married for 69 of them. They were so madly in love even until the very end.
Keith and Rhea at age 16. 1937
Keith and Rhea, March 2009
We were able to travel to Montana over the weekend for the funeral. It was a beautiful weekend and the service was perfect. Grandpa always made everyone smile and that is what we tried to do all week. Even after his passing he provided us with an amazing gift. Gramps always wished that the Taylor family would all be in the same place at the same time. We were lucky enough to have that happen after 11 1/2 years. At the viewing Blake was very tired and I was struggling to make it through since I was very emotional as well. I sat down with him and showed him the program with pictures of Gramps on them. Blake started patting the paper and said "Bapa" over and over. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence, or if it was actually his first word, but it was special nonetheless. During the viewing in the morning we took the kids up to say goodbye. They were very brave. Ashlyn said "it doesn't look like him because his spirit isn't there". After we sat down Avery said to me "Mommy, can I go say goodbye again?" I took her up to see him and she looked at him and said, "bye grampa". The service was filled with memories, most of which were very funny. All of the great-grandchildren (minus the 6 who could not make it) sang "I Am A Child Of God" and "Families Can Be Together Forever". Blake even went up to sing and I could hear him humming from where I was sitting. All of the grandchildren and their spouses (minus 1 spouse who could not make it) sang grandpa's favorite hymn "How Great Thou Art". It was very difficult to get through especially after Tennille started crying. Once she lost it, I did, then Trista did, and then Trent did. We ended up making it through and it was absolutely beautiful. On the way to the burial Avery said, "Do you know why I'm so sad? It's because I miss that grampa so much".
These next pictures of the burial may seem strange to post and they might seem a little sad, but to me they are so beautiful and I really wanted to share them.
Grandpa had 6 grandsons. (left side) Trent Taylor, Brett Morrison, Tory Taylor (right side) Todd Morrison, Thatcher Taylor, Jeffrey Morrison
All the pallbearers looked so handsome as they watched the service. When the service was over they placed their flowers in the shape of a wreath at the head of the casket.
Tory, Brett, Trent, Todd, Thatcher, Jeffrey
Grandpa Taylor was in the navy so he received a proper military burial. On a light note, we tried to prepare the girls for the gun shots that were going to be fired. We told them that it was going to be loud, but it was safe. When the first set of shots went off Ashlyn hit the ground so fast. I couldn't help but laugh. She did it again the second time and then both she and Avery ended up hiding behind my legs.
Grandma was so strong throughout the service. Here she stands with her two children, Bev and Phil (Trent's dad). Every time I look at this picture I can feel the love they had for each other and see it in Grandma's eyes. She will truly miss the love of her life, but she knows that she will be with him again.
Here are the 10 grandchildren.
(back row) Todd Morrison, Jeffrey Morrison, Brett Morrison, Thatcher Taylor, Trent Taylor, Tory Taylor. (front row) Trista Snyder, Tennille Flaten, Wendy Winterholler, Kelly Steenbakker.
This picture is very special because it is the first picture since my wedding 11 1/2 years ago, of Trent's family. It was taken without spouses and kids because they were not all there.
(back row-standing in birth order-oldest to youngest) Trista, Tory, Trent, Tennille, Thatcher
(front row) Adele, Phil
The day was so beautiful. I am very grateful that we were able to be together as a family to celebrate the life of Gramps. We laughed, we cried, and we laughed some more. Thank you grandpa for everything you have ever done for us. For the memories we have of you and for the hand that you had in bringing us together as a family. We love you and miss you so much. I am so grateful to know that we WILL see each other again.

6 comments:

Vic and Jan said...

"Bapa", how sweet! What a beautiful post. Happiness is family being together, now and forever.

ETCK said...

What a great post!!! You are an excellent writer and the pictures were perfect. Blake's "Bapa" and Ashlyn and Avery's hitting the floor at the gun shots were very cute. Sounds like it was a great (although sad) trip.

Donnie and Jen Brown said...

thank you so much for that post, it was really nice for me and my mom to look at it. she really wanted to get up there for it, but it just didnt happend. what a nice tribute you did for them!

Shelley said...

I'm so sorry. I have some of those same kind of pictures from my Dad's and grandparents. They are sad, but so special. Glad you guys could all get out there for his funeral. Your girls did really well.

Tennille said...

Thanks for such an awesome post. It made me cry AGAIN if you can imagine that!! It was such a great weekend.

Trista said...

Erika, this is the first time I've gotten on my blog at all since I got home. I just wanted you to know what beautiful posts these are. Thank you for the wonderful tribute to our family. You are so wonderful. I love you.