Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hangin' Out With The Family In Montana

Being in Montana this past week was bittersweet. While we were there for a funeral, we wanted to make sure to have as much fun as possible because that's what Gramps would have wanted. The day after we got there it happened to be my birthday. The big 32! I was just expecting to pretend it wasn't my birthday and celebrate it another day. We woke up very early to go to church and right off the bat my two sister-in-laws both wished me a "happy birthday". It made me so happy to know that during all that was going on, they still remembered. Trent was very sweet. He even bore his testimony at church and mentioned it was my birthday, so I had lots of people from his parents ward wishing me a happy birthday too. When we got home my sister-in-laws started making my cupcakes with the best homemade frosting you will ever eat. It was really special because I always had cupcakes for my birthday growing up since we were almost always on vacation during my birthday. Thanks everyone for making my day special. It really did mean a lot to me.


When we got to Montana we were told that Trent's brother, Tory, was going to come up for the funeral. We were very excited. We used to live near him when we first got married and loved to go over to his house and visit with him. It has now been about 10 years since we had seen him. He looked exactly the same as I had remembered and it felt like we picked up right where we left off.
Trent's sister Tennille, was so funny. She probably mentioned at least 50 times how cute Blake is. Both sisters just couldn't get enough of him. That was very nice since I couldn't let him crawl around much because he was terrified of the dogs when would get too close.
Our nephews found Trent's old Steelers helmet that he used to play with when he was a kid. It was so much fun to see everyone wearing it. Blake loved it. We might have a little football player on our hands.
Ashlyn and Avery had so much fun playing with their cousins. Noah is just younger than Avery and Peyton is 7. One of the best things about Montana is that you can play outside in the middle of the summer (sounds strange I know, but you can't play outside in the winter like you can here:) They were running all over the place, inside and out. It was so cute to see how creative they were with their games. They even hosed down the playhouse so they could play in it. We sure missed having the rest of the cousins in town and we hope to see them soon.
Trent's two sisters and I went out to lunch for our birthdays. I had a great time. We have never had a chance to do something just us girls. They are the greatest girls. I am so lucky to have two more sisters in addition to my own that I love and respect so much. We ate at "the bus". It is literally a bus that serves Mexican food, has benches where the seats used to be, and they cook in the back. I was very surprised and impressed with how good the food was.
I always regret not taking more pictures with people when we are in town. I didn't get any with Phil or Adele, none with Thatcher, and none with Grandma Rebich. But we did get one with Grandma Taylor before we left. Grandma Taylor is so much fun and she is so strong. We could have listened to her stories for hours.
We always have fun when we are in Montana, and this trip was no exception.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so can you get the frosting recipe? I need a good homemade frosting recipe. LOL! I am so glad you had a good time even under the sad circumstances...

Heidi said...

So glad that you had a good time, but I know that it was sad also. You have such a beautiful family! Glad that you are back safe

Vic and Jan said...

Being with family is the best! Four months and it will be our turn.

Goff family said...

We wish we could have seen you on your way through Utah, but we understand the time constraints, etc. Kennedi was showing all the girls at her b-day party the picture of her and Ashlyn and telling everyone that she wished Ashlyn was at her party.