March 17, 2012 I did something that I thought was impossible for me. I ran a 1/2 marathon. My friends Sarah and Kristi and I drove to Moab, Utah for the Canyonlands 1/2 Marathon. I have never been a long distance runner and both of my friends are, so I was very scared and intimidated. Once the crowd started moving I was on my way and my adrenaline kicked in. Before I left I had the Trent and the kids each choose a song to put on my playlist without me knowing. People must have thought I was crazy because every time one of their songs came on I would start to cry. It was very emotional for me because in my mind I was proving to them that if you put your mind to something, anything is possible. Moab is a beautiful place and the course was right along the Colorado River. The scenery made the run very enjoyable.
The course was pretty hilly, but in a good way. You would go up for a while and then go down and have time to rest a bit. I felt like I was doing a pretty good job until we exited the canyon and the weather got the best of me. The wind was blowing 30 mph, towards us. We were running up a gradual hill with gravel flying at our faces. I was hunched over doing my best to get up the hill, but my mind was over powered by my body. My stomach started cramping so bad that I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to cross the finish line. There was only 1 mile left so I pushed as much as I could. When I saw the finish line I was so happy.
It was then that I heard my name being shouted from the sidelines. I looked over and saw my parents waiting to greet me. They had surprised me and driven 4 hours to watch me finish my race. I immediately started crying. (I was crying in the picture above, but trying to breathe and the same time). My mom took off in front of me taking pictures of me. I remember a lot of happy moments in my life, but this was up near the top. Not only did I finish, but my parents were there to greet me.I'd like to think that this is just a fraction of what it will feel like when I get to Heaven. I will see not only my earthly parents, but my heavenly parents waiting for me. The feeling that "I made it" will be such a wonderful feeling. Thank you mom and dad for coming and surprising me. It meant the world to me.
Mom and Dad didn't stay long, but it was so neat to have them there. We ate free snacks, rested, stretched, and then it was time to hop in the car and drive the 9 hours back home to see our families. Here is a picture of Sarah's sister Jamie, her friend, myself, Sarah, and Kristi after we finished the race.
My time was 2 hours 21 minutes which I feel is pretty good for a first timer.
2 comments:
Brought tears to my eyes. You are so special, Erika. A parent's dream. Thanks.
I would have cried just as much as you. Maybe someday we can do the run ( or any run) together.
Post a Comment