Monday, December 15, 2008

What a day!

Today was quite the day. The bishopric's wives had to speak in church today, and it was my Sunday to teach sharing time in primary. That wouldn't have been so bad except I was sick. My voice was incredibly hoarse and I was achy all over. I decided to take the easy way out of one thing and we watched a great video in Primary. I couldn't have taught the lesson as well as the movie did anyway. My talk was on "Giving". It went really well. Of course I cried throughout most of it. I like to share personal stories because that is a way that I can bring the spirit into the meeting. And of course I spoke about my parents. I am so proud of them and I love them so much that I find myself bragging about them constantly. My mom posted a story on her mission blog today that I wish I would have had for my talk, but since I didn't, I decided to share it with everyone now. (Mom and Dad, I hope you don't mind that I'm sharing your story. It was just so sweet:)
"Oatmeal... With or Without Raisins?" - written in my mom's words

"Remember the story of 'The Gift of the Magi'? It's a story about a couple who didn't have much money for a gift for each other and it was the day before Christmas. There were only two possessions that Jim and Delia both took pride in. One had been Jim's gold watch that had been his father's and grandfather's. The other had been Delia's beautiful long hair. To make a long story short, Delia sold her hair to have money to buy a gold chain for her husbands treasured watch and Jim sold his watch to buy Delia a set of beautiful tortise shell combs to put in her hair. Each one of them had given up something in order to please the other. I thought of that story this morning when I was eating the oatmeal that Vic had made for our breakfast. He had made it with raisins, which he knows that I really like. When I make the oatmeal, I make it without raisins, because I know that is how he likes it best. We haven't given up any prized possessions, but this is a small example of our love for each other and how we try to please. At Christmas time we all do our best to give gifts to show how much we care about each person. Some of the best gifts that we can give are those that all year long show how much we care."

I love you Mom and Dad. You have given me a wonderful gift. The gift of an incredible example. I can look up to each of you in every way and try to emulate how you have lived your lives. I only hope that someday my children will be able to do the same.

3 comments:

Vic and Jan said...

You made our day! Erika, we love you so much and are so proud of the fantastic wife and mother you have become. We are greatful for the opportunity we have had to be part of your life.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your talk, I think that you did a wonderful job. I really liked the story about the cherries and the sacrifices we make for those we love. It fit very well with the story of the oatmeal too.

Mel and Nate said...

Your parents are the best! And your kids are so adorable! I bet the girls are loving having a little brother! Do you plan on having more? I always think three would be perfect but Nate wants five!!! That will probably not happen! We miss you!