Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Blake's Trip to the ER

Last night was quite the night. Here's the story... Blake has been teething for a while now. He's been fussy which we knew was normal. Two days ago he had a fever. I looked on the Internet and it said that low grade fevers were normal and if it is above 101 degrees, which it was 101.8 degrees, to wait 24 hours and call a doctor. So, we gave him Tylenol and went on with the day. He felt better in the morning, so I did nothing. At about 4:30 p.m. I noticed he was getting very fussy. I was out of the house, but when I got home at 5:45 p.m. Trent and I took his temperature and it was 103.3 degrees. We began to panic. Our kids have been very healthy and we recently had an experience where a friend got sick and it ended up being very bad and he passed away. So, I rushed Blake to Urgent Care where they proceeded to tell me that they do not see children under age 1. I drove across town to another Urgent Care that was supposed to close at 7:00 p.m. I got there at 6:50 p.m. and they were closed. So, I called the on-call doctor to see what I should do. He told me to get Blake to the ER as soon as possible. We were not in the ER long and they called us back. They told me that they were very nervous because of his age and high fever, so they jumped through hoops and broke some protocol to get us back first. They took his temperature again and it had risen to 104 degrees.

To make a short story even longer, Blake had a double ear infection. I have been a mom for 6 years now and we have never dealt with ear infections before. The doctors gave Blake some extra strength Motrin and a prescription and sent us on our way. There's nothing like ending up in the ER with a temperature of 104 degrees for something I should have caught days earlier to make me feel like a terrible mom. The good news is that Blake felt much better by the time we got home. The girls had waited up with Trent for us to get home and they were so happy that he was okay. Here they are greeting him with big hugs and smiles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How scarey!!! I'm glad he's okay and the ER was so great to you guys! Poor guy!

Vic and Jan said...

We're all grateful that Blake is fine now. Aren't you glad you weren't at Girls' Camp?

Anonymous said...

Your an amazing mom and we all know it. I am so happy that Blake is well again. Apparently even with three kids every day is a new opportunity to learn. :)

ashtrost said...

I've been dealing with ear infections for the first time with my 3rd. I thought it was teething too and it ended up being an ear infection. The boys have never had an ear infection. I just thought Brinley was a wimp with teething and it ended up being an ear infection. Crazy how every child is so different and you keep learning as a mom.

Heidi said...

Poor baby. I am glad that everything is ok now. That is a cute picture. That is nice they waited up for you guys to get home:-)